meta data for this page
.NET Code Camp 2013-14
Code Camp Week: Monday 9.12. - Friday 13.12.2013 Room no: 6218
CT30A9301 Code Camp on Platform Based Application Development (4 cr)
News & Notes
Code Camp Week
Location 6218 basement computer lab
- Start time on Monday 9.12.2013 at 10:30
|08:15||Finishing presentations / testing demos|
|09:15||Idea brainstroming and group formation||Coding||Coding||Coding||Presentations|
|10:15||Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 tech briefing||Coding||Coding||Coding||Presentations complete: Winner announced|
|13:00||Idea brainstorming and group formation||Coding||Coding||Coding|
|14:15||Idea brainstorming and group formation / Coding||Coding||Coding||Coding|
|17:00||Progress reports in 6218 and then sauna! (at the building six rooftop sauna)||Coding||Coding||Coding|
|02:00||Coding||Coding||Deadline style Coding and Code complete|
To be announced
|Group||Application||Name 1||Name 2||Name 3||Name 4|
|Group 1||Ball Murder||Teemu Hokkanen||Rasmus Halsas||Niklas Nygren||Arttu Urpalainen|
|Group 2||On the Run||Kalle Kareinen||Tuomas Kuusisto||Arttu Tolvanen||Tatu Huttunen|
|Group 3||le Restaurant Dongle||Janne Tallqvist||Antti Herala||Hanna Salopaasi||Sami Tarkiainen|
|Group 5||Paavo||Tatu Virta||Lassi Lääti||Otto Laitinen||Teemu Huovinen||Oskar Sonninen|
Requirements for projects
Use one or more of the following technologies in the project:
- Windows Phone
- Windows Server and/or ASP.NET
- Kinect SDK
- Xbox Indie Games
- .NET Framework
- Windows Azure
No matter what technologies you choose, your project must meet app store guidelines and target some Imagine Cup competition category.
Return requirements for groups and the return schedule
- On Friday, at the end of the course, you need to have
- Five minute presentation about your program (idea, motivation, goals, technology used, what was actually implemented etc.)
- Five minute demonstration of your working program
- = Total presentation time of 10 minutes
- Group members
- Some explanatory charts optionally
- Your project source and binaries OR a public link to your Git or Mercurial repository
- In a week (before 23:59 17.12.2013) send an email to Antti Knutas ( email@example.com ), with:
- Your team's project proposal: Download and read the Imagine Cup competition rules from one of the following categories for instructions about how to do your project proposal:
- One page poster about your project (see examples from previous years, also upload to wiki)
- Email has to have topic [CC2013] Group X (for example: [CC2013] Group 2)
- Include project source code (remove binaries in bin and opt!) and the project report document in the email
- Don't upload project source to the wiki, only the report, poster and binaries
- Considering uploading your app to the store for extra points and include a link to your app
- Include link to your wiki page in the email
- On Tuesday 18.12.
- Come to your reserved feedback time slot, which can be reserved here: http://doodle.com/wu4zkdpwr8ye8vsf
- Also bring the following materials with you
- Project proposal
- Preferably a plan how to participate in the competition
- Before March 1st, consider signing up your team in one major Imagine Cup category (or the Windows Phone Challenge)
- See the details and links: http://www.imaginecup.com/
The feedback day for the reports will be on the Wednesday 18.12. in the afternoon.
Discussion and the Q&A
Q: How can I move elements manually in WPF?
A: This might work: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4214155/wpf-easiest-way-to-move-image-to-x-y-programmatically
Q: How does the USB boot work with the hard disks?
A: Press F12 until you have reached the boot option menu after power on. Then choose the UEFI USB boot option.
Q: Does the Razor MVC have a design view?
A: No, not in the same sense as in the old ASP.NET. However, check out Page Inspector.
Q: How to add custom parameters to ActionLink?
A: Check out http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7024281/mvc-3-append-get-parameters-on-a-actionlink
What are recommended skills/requirements for code camp ?
Programming experience(I hope you all have some…if not..then you'll have one during this code camp) and of course learning INTEREST is the most.
Can I prepare to Code Camp ?
Yes. During code camp week we will brainstorm a software idea, design it and code it. Getting good ideas might sometimes be hard and thinking about different ideas before code camp makes it faster to get into coding part.
I have an exam in Code Camp week ?
You are free to go exam, but code camp in intensive course and idea is to focus coding during the well, so it is recommended you prepare to exam before the code camp week.
Grading 1-5 from
- Idea and presentation of the Idea in wiki: 25%
- Coding of the implementation: 25%
- Presentation: 10%
- Code Camp Spirit: 20%
- Code camp report 20%
If you have questions about code camp send email to Antti Knutas (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Windows Phone 8
What is Code Camp ?
Code Camp is a learning and hacking experience. The code camp approach can be defined as a collaborative learning setting that aims to promote profession-oriented skills. In code camp, the term camp refers to a situation where students assemble and stay a while together. The term code refers to coding, i.e. writing computer programs.
Registration link is on the front page.